prisma

For simplicity’s sake, let’s consider I have the following datamodel:

Post  {
    user: User @relation(name: "UserPost")
    name: String
}

User {
}

Let’s say I want to update the post to another User. The schema created would give me the following options:

• create
  • update
  • upsert
  • delete
  • disconnect
  • connect

In this case, I would need to do two operations, ‘disconnect’ and ‘connect’ from one User to the next. Is there a way to do this with one query? Because today, I have a function that checks if the Post has a User, is so, disconnects it, and then a second query runs to connect the new one.

Want to know if I am doing this super-inefficiently or if there is an easier ‘replace’-type mechanism.

Hello Ian,

You don’t have to disconnect a User to be able to connect and replace the current User. If you use the schema created ‘connect’ option it’ll create a connection or replace the old one.

Understood. However, if I want to disconnect the user/post relationship (without a replacement) I must do so with ‘disconnect’, and according to this issue, I can only do so if the relationship exists, otherwise an Error is thrown — correct?

I ask because I have some very suspect logic because I do not know if the client is going to feed me a A) net-new connection B) replacement connection or C) a connection removal. I therefore have to do two round-trips: check if the connection exists and then proceed with the original operation.

Here’s an example of how that could be implemented:

const post = ctx.db.query.post({ where: { args.id } });
const exists = post.user ? true : false;

// A. Net-new-connection
if (args.user && !exists) {
   args.user = { connect: { id } }
}

// B. Replacement-connection
// This is the method you described in your reply. I could combine with A block above.
if (args.user && exists) {
}

// C. Remove Connection
if (!args.user && exists) {
   args.user = { disconnect: true }
}

Let me know if this is overkill. I would prefer to not two round-trips to the db!

Your solution looks pretty good to me.
As both A and B perform the same action I would change it to:

//A
    if (args.user) {
    }

//B
    if (!args.user && exists) {
          args.user = { disconnect: { id } }
        }

Maybe look into the ‘check existence’ Prisma offers. I use it to check whether the user is the author of a post and therefore can update the post for example. This will return a Boolean value instead of the whole post. So it would look something like this:

const authorExists = await prisma.exists.Post({
        author: {
        id: not_null
        }
       });

Thanks for the tip re: exists! Had no idea this was part of Prisma’s API.

One quick follow-up re: client. I’m having to do quite similar logic in my Apollo client for the optimistic update to match the mutation. Currently I update up to 3 fragments: update the post field on the User type, and then update the user field on the disconnected Post, and finally update the user field on the newly-connected Post.

I have not gotten this to work in one elegant update where I just update the Post, and the then the Users update their relations as well. Curious if you have some pointers there.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.