Internal server error on a lot of concurrent writing

prisma

First I am not sure if this is prisma problem or database in general. So I am sorry guys I asked on wrong place.

So, here’s the case

Datamodel

type User {
  id: ID! @unique
  authorId: String! @unique
  name: String!
}

And here’s the code

const { prisma } = require("./generated/prisma-client");
const addUser = async () => {
  try {
    await prisma.upsertUser({
      where: {
        authorId: "a"
      },
      create: {
        authorId: "a",
        name: "a"
      },
      update: {
        name: "a"
      }
    });
  } catch (e) {
    console.error(e);
  }
};

Array(2030)
  .fill()
  .map(() => {
    addUser();
  });

It seems that I run addUser concurrently above 1008 times. I got error

{ Error: Whoops. Looks like an internal server error. Search your server logs for request ID: local:cjpvan0yi5cdd0a56uschgx5b ....

If I check docker logs, I can see this

{"key":"error/unhandled","requestId":"local:cjpv9x0100ffz0a56f3zotpy4","clientId":"default$default","payload":{"exception":"java.util.concurrent.RejectedExecutionException: Task slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef$$anon$2@2a7bd0b rejected from slick.util.AsyncExecutor$$anon$2$$anon$1@64a38dbb[Running, pool size = 9, active threads = 9, queued tasks = 1000, completed tasks = 23718]","query":"mutation ($where: UserWhereUniqueInput!, $create: UserCreateInput!, $update: UserUpdateInput!) {\n  upsertUser(where: $where, create: $create, update: $update) {\n    id\n    authorId\n    name\n  }\n}\n","variables":"{\"where\":{\"authorId\":\"a\"},\"create\":{\"authorId\":\"a\",\"name\":\"a\"},\"update\":{\"name\":\"a\"}}","code":"0","stack_trace":"java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$AbortPolicy.rejectedExecution(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:2063)\\n java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.reject(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:830)\\n java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1379)\\n slick.util.AsyncExecutor$$anon$2$$anon$3.execute(AsyncExecutor.scala:161)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runSynchronousDatabaseAction(BasicBackend.scala:264)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runSynchronousDatabaseAction$(BasicBackend.scala:262)\\n slick.jdbc.JdbcBackend$DatabaseDef.runSynchronousDatabaseAction(JdbcBackend.scala:37)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.slick$basic$BasicBackend$DatabaseDef$$runInContextInline(BasicBackend.scala:241)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInContextSafe(BasicBackend.scala:147)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.run$1(BasicBackend.scala:176)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.slick$basic$BasicBackend$DatabaseDef$$runInContextInline(BasicBackend.scala:182)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInContextSafe(BasicBackend.scala:147)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.slick$basic$BasicBackend$DatabaseDef$$runInContextInline(BasicBackend.scala:206)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInContextSafe(BasicBackend.scala:147)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInContext(BasicBackend.scala:141)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInContext$(BasicBackend.scala:140)\\n slick.jdbc.JdbcBackend$DatabaseDef.runInContext(JdbcBackend.scala:37)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInternal(BasicBackend.scala:76)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.runInternal$(BasicBackend.scala:75)\\n slick.jdbc.JdbcBackend$DatabaseDef.runInternal(JdbcBackend.scala:37)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.run(BasicBackend.scala:73)\\n slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef.run$(BasicBackend.scala:73)\\n slick.jdbc.JdbcBackend$DatabaseDef.run(JdbcBackend.scala:37)\\n com.prisma.api.connector.jdbc.impl.JdbcDatabaseMutactionExecutor.execute(JdbcDatabaseMutactionExecutor.scala:40)\\n com.prisma.api.connector.jdbc.impl.JdbcDatabaseMutactionExecutor.executeTransactionally(JdbcDatabaseMutactionExecutor.scala:26)\\n com.prisma.api.mutations.ClientMutationRunner$.$anonfun$run$2(ClientMutationRunner.scala:20)\\n scala.concurrent.Future.$anonfun$flatMap$1(Future.scala:302)\\n scala.concurrent.impl.Promise.$anonfun$transformWith$1(Promise.scala:37)\\n scala.concurrent.impl.CallbackRunnable.run(Promise.scala:60)\\n akka.dispatch.BatchingExecutor$AbstractBatch.processBatch(BatchingExecutor.scala:55)\\n akka.dispatch.BatchingExecutor$BlockableBatch.$anonfun$run$1(BatchingExecutor.scala:91)\\n scala.runtime.java8.JFunction0$mcV$sp.apply(JFunction0$mcV$sp.java:12)\\n scala.concurrent.BlockContext$.withBlockContext(BlockContext.scala:81)\\n akka.dispatch.BatchingExecutor$BlockableBatch.run(BatchingExecutor.scala:91)\\n akka.dispatch.TaskInvocation.run(AbstractDispatcher.scala:40)\\n akka.dispatch.ForkJoinExecutorConfigurator$AkkaForkJoinTask.exec(ForkJoinExecutorConfigurator.scala:43)\\n akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)\\n akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)\\n akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)\\n akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)","message":"Task slick.basic.BasicBackend$DatabaseDef$$anon$2@2a7bd0b rejected from slick.util.AsyncExecutor$$anon$2$$anon$1@64a38dbb[Running, pool size = 9, active threads = 9, queued tasks = 1000, completed tasks = 23718]"}}

Hi @Muhammad_Muhajir,

Can you please confirm that are you using the demo servers? If you using the demo servers those servers have some restrictions. Learn more about those restrictions here: https://www.prisma.io/docs/prisma-server/demo-servers-prisma-cloud-jfr3/#limitations

If you are not using demo servers and please tell more about your stack.

Hi @pantharshit00,
Thanks again for the answer.

I am trying to do it locally on my laptop (with spec 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 , 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 ) . Running on docker.

I have very limited understanding regarding database and scalability. Any assistance would be very helpful for me :slight_smile: .

And btw, it looks like the link you give requires login.

Sorry I have updated the link. I have also answered your question on intercom.

Hi @pantharshit00,

I’m having similar issues as @Muhammad_Muhajir does. I’m getting the same error message when trying to concurrently query more than 1000 entries from the database.

Could you please provide the answer you gave to @Muhammad_Muhajir within here?

My prisma server (v1.24) is connected to a MySQL database (v5.7). Both containers are running on the same VPS, I’m not using the demo servers.

Thank you!

Similar issues here to. Any pointers - anyone?

He was suggesting to use kubernetes. I haven’t done it yet thought.

I think you are hitting the internal batch of 1000 items.

So you need to scale prisma temporary to import this data

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.