Subscriptions with Existing Subscription Data

prisma

Greetings,

Currently when I create a subscription I am able to see data as mutations happen.
I would like to create subscriptions in a way where I also get the initial query data as well within the same subscription feed.

For example, if I am creating a chat application where I am creating realtime messages.
If a user enters a chat or thread, I’d like that user to already have the preexisting messages from the conversation returned in the subscription.

Currently, a user would enter a chat and only the new messages would be displayed in realtime,
but I would like to display perhaps the first or last 10 messages along with the subscription.

Of course one could query the database then provide a subscription with new incoming data, but that doesn’t seem like the right way to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The use of subscription is to get updates for the data. You can achieve the initial data loading you are asking by making a query.

I guess we will not be able to implement such a feature as this as is not the use case of subscription . You may able to do that but that would be very hard. Please try to understand and use a query to load the initial data. Many library like apollo client provide a subscribe to more in the query method they provide.

If you are using apollo make your chat app you will do achieve that by using https://www.apollographql.com/docs/react/advanced/subscriptions.html#subscribe-to-more

Hope this will help you :slightly_smiling_face: