We are very excited to announce the beta release of Prisma Admin, a database GUI that offers a simple way for you to interact with your data.
Why Prisma Admin?
Prisma currently exposes the GraphQL Playground to let developers interact with their database via GraphQL queries. This works well in certain cases but can become tedious when often editing data, where a table-based UI is more convenient and faster.
While there are already many database GUIs, most of them are either very dated or limited to a specific database. Most modern applications make use of a combination of multiple different databases forcing developers to use a myriad of disparate tools.
Prisma Admin provides a unified and modern UI on top of any kind of database to speed up your development process. (Think: VS Code - but for databases.)
How to get access to Prisma Admin
Prisma Admin is accessible at the Admin URL of your Prisma service, which you can find in the CLI output after running
prisma deploy. Prisma Admin will also replace the Data Browser in Prisma Cloud.
You can access Prisma Admin by appending
/_admin to the endpoint of your
Prisma service. Depending on where your Prisma server is hosted, the URL looks different, e.g.:
- Demo server:
You can also open Prisma Admin directly in your browser by typing
Prisma Admin supports all of the databases that Prisma integrates with (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB). It is available in Prisma v1.29-beta and above.
A tour of Prisma Admin
Let's dive into the features of Prisma Admin. You can try out Admin with a premade demo based on this datamodel:
The following sections highlight Admin's most important features:
- Explore: A convenient & efficient way to view your data
- Edit: Change your data quickly & safely
- Relations: Easily add, traverse & edit connected data
- Advanced queries: Filter, sort and paginate.
- Customize: Bring your own components
Explore: A convenient & efficient way to view your data
Prisma Admin shows you all of the data for each model within the Result area. In the demo, you can switch between the
Comment models in the Sidebar.
Selecting a record from the results opens it in the Detail area where you can further navigate to related records.
Edit: Change your data quickly & safely
Prisma Admin lets you add, edit, and delete data easily throughout the interface.
To ensure that unwanted data changes do not affect the database, Admin has a two step saving process:
- When you first edit your data, Prisma Admin only applies changes locally.
- Once you're happy with the changes, you can confirm and save them to the database.
Relations: Easily add, traverse & edit connected data
Admin also understands relations in your datamodel and makes it easy for you to...
- Add relational data to a row by including relation fields in the GraphQL query
- Quickly view all relations of a database record and traverse them in the Detail area
- Inline edit the relations of a database record (without copying any IDs)
Querying: Select fields, filter, sort and paginate your data
It's easy to query for exactly the data you need with support for advanced features like filtering, sorting and pagination.
Customize: Bring your own components (experimental)
By default, Prisma Admin comes with two Detail area components:
- Form component: This is the default view for the Detail area. Like the Result area, you can edit any of the data and save it by confirming your changes.
- JSON component: View your records as JSON by clicking on the eye icon at the top right of the Detail area.
For advanced scenarios, you can also bring your own components (e.g a React or Vue app) in order to implement your funtionality and modify the output of the Detail area.
Examples of this include rendering visual charts & diagrams, adding buttons to trigger business logic or embed related data from other data sources. Check out the docs to learn more.
This beta release of the Prisma Admin only marks the beginning. We're already working on a couple of new major features:
- Datamodel editor: A visual representation of your datamodel
- Desktop version: A standalone desktop Prisma Admin app
- Filter UI for the query area: A dedicated UI for data filtering and sorting
- Query analytics: A tool to help identifying performance bottlenecks
- Tabs: The ability to have multiple queries open at the same time
But, most importantly, we want to hear from you!
What features do you want to see? What are your database workflows, and how can Admin help simplify them further?